Monday, July 5, 2010

Baby, its HOT outside!

We were alarmed at dusk this evening to see so many honeybees outside their hives.  Turns out, they seem to be "bearding" - clustering outside to help drop the temperature inside.  Once things get a little cooler, they'll go back inside.

Both hives now have an extra super and two short supers.  I am not sure, but think there is a honeyflow going on.  There are bees zooming absolutely everywhere - in the garden, the trees, and the birdbaths have upwards of 30 bees at a time.   Its like an amusement park in the yard. 

1 comment:

Michele said...

I didn't know you had bees. I am very covetous of your bees. I would like to have my own someday, when we have a bigger property.

My husband assures me that he will not help with this project at all (he's a bit phobic of all things he perceives buggy!)

More tales of bees please!!!